Sunday, April 24, 2011

what is normal anyway?

At church today I couldn't help but notice all the families. It could be because there was about triple the normal people at the service... But families. Everywhere. Husbands & wives with their kids in between, all around... I had family there... I had my kids... I had my parents... I didn't have my husband.

It is times like that when I crave normalcy. Having him at church every week. Home every night to assure me those noises are fine.

I sat there looking at each couple. Wishing my life was normal. And it hit me. Tears started to well up. I looked at each of my kids.

This is our normal.

Our normal is that Daddy is always going to miss every 3rd service.

Daddy won't get to be home every night.

Our normal is rushing out the door on busy nights to try to make it to the station between calls.

Our normal is not normal. But it is ours.

1 comment:

Kate and Roger said...

There's really no such thing as "normal" anything in the world. My normal family will be that my child will have two nieces and a nephew that are older than he or she. It is the way life goes sometimes. My cousin is a firefighter in New York City, or was...he retired at age 55. His wife found it difficult, but they are completely happy with their child and their life. As a side note, he was on disability and went back to work on 9/12/2001, and was thankfully not working on 9/11 or he'd probably not be around anymore. Life has challenges for all of us...we just find our happiness, and our normalcy (if we want it) in ourselves!